Thursday, February 17, 2011

Faith, Scholarship, and Running!

So last night was this huge, giant event I've been planning with my presidency (I'm the president of the Graduate Student Society at my university) for MONTHS! It's called the Faith and Scholarship Symposium and every year we invite one of the university administrators to come speak, then there's a fancy dinner, this year we had an incredible musical number, and well, you get the picture.

Anyway, this year, one of the university vice presidents spoke about the relationship between learning and spirituality. One of the coolest things he said (I thought) was the importance of maintaining physical health to improve both spirituality and ability to learn. It really resonated with me, and was incredibly inspiring. I know I'm a much better person academically, emotionally, and spiritually when my physical health is where it needs to be.

I think that message really resonated with me because recently it's been a bit of a struggle to keep my physical (and emotional) health where I need it to be without running (although I'm shooting for an easy 2-miler today--wish me luck!). I'm fighting a lot of random injuries (tendinitis in my shoulder, residual Achilles' tendinitis, and an angry, angry knee). I realized though, this is probably my body's way of telling me to chill out a bit and to re-balance other parts of my life. I had a bit of a reality check today and I'm working on more realistic running goals for myself--at least for the next little while. I'm hoping with some R&R though, I'll be good as new and back on the pavement soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment