Friday, January 21, 2011

I Didn't Even Hurdle Anything!

Monday I went for a 3-mile run with some rolling hills at a really easy pace. I was debating going at all (I've kind of sounded like Darth Vader for the last few days with some weird throat thing). Against perhaps my better judgment, I donned my Nike running tights, iridescent blue sunglasses, lone surviving Spiderman glove, and hit the pavement.

By the time I finished, my left knee was feeling a little sore and stiff, which seemed odd. I hadn't fallen, tripped, or hurdled anything. Half an hour after finishing, I was having trouble bending it, and couldn't get in and out of my car without serious pain. After an incredible BBQ lunch, I went home, hit the couch with my Ibuprofen 800 (runner's best friend) and ice pack. I stretched out really well, which eased the stiffness, and decided I'd head to the evening spin class at my gym to loosen up a bit more. I kept low resistance--although it really didn't matter since that was the lamest spin class I've ever been to--and my knee felt loads better. It was more ice and Ibuprofen when I got home, but as the night wore on, my knee got significantly worse and I resigned myself to yet another doctor's appointment.

Long story short: Tuesday morning, the doc relieved my worst fears--I hadn't torn anything. But I was walking with a serious limp, but I'm still on a regimen of ice and Ibuprofen with a little physical therapy thrown in the mix. Though I'm improving quickly, the doc suggested I lay off running for probably two weeks (MOAN). I'm hoping I'll be like new by Wednesday next week, when I get back from a Ph.D. program scouting trip to North Carolina!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Camilla. Jessie sent me the link to your new blog and I haven't stopped laughing since. I, too, qualify as an Athena Runner, and I would venture a guess that the majority of people running in local races not affiliated with a university varsity sport are right there with us. What would be the guys equivalent....Brutus? Athena and Brutus runners unite!! Anyways, I will read your blog devoutly, and laugh and cry with you as you train. I'm training for a half in April. Should be an adventure. Good luck with the runnin' and the bloggin'. And the scouting trip. So cool!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Good luck training! That is so great! Seriously though, I feel like if a woman is taller than 5'4" then she probably qualifies as an Athena. At first I was kind of offended. Now I'm just going to own it. :)

    ReplyDelete